Pickin' the perfect pumpkin can be tough, considering the different shapes, sizes, and color. Each pumpkin has different characteristics and, for many people, a personality all it's own.
Here are a few helpful tips for picking the right pumpkin.
• Select an unbruised pumpkin about the size and shape of your design.
• Choose one that is smooth and evenly colored so your design transfers clearly.
• Make sure the pumpkin has a flat bottom so it sits upright.
• Watch out for pumpkin that have mold around the stem. This may indicate potential rot.
• Do not carry a pumpkin by its stem to prevent it from breaking.
• For children, try to select a lighter-colored, softer pumpkin. These don't last as long, but they are easier to carve.
_________________Prairie Pumpkin Carver